NATURAL HERITAGE FIELD ASSISTANT
Rouge Park Office, 50 Bloomington Rd. West, Aurora
Field work will take place in Scarborough and Markham.
Contract Position - 4 months beginning end of April, 2013
*Due to HRDC Canada Summer Job program restrictions, the candidate selected will be between the ages of 15 and 30 years of age at the time of hiring and returning to full-time studies for the 2013-2014 academic year.
DIVISION: Watershed Management
SALARY RANGE: $14.12 per hour
SUMMARY OF FUNCTION:
The Natural Heritage Field Assistant will be responsible for participating in resource management activities which include vegetation inventory work, ecological monitoring and providing general assistance to Rouge Park's Natural Heritage program. Safe work practices are a condition of employment.
- Post secondary educational background in environmental and/or resource science, biology or other related field
- Plant/animal identification experience, and familiarity with field monitoring techniques
- Excellent organizational, written and verbal communication skills
- Must have computer skills in word processing, and database management and entry
- Familiarity with sensitive data procedures
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Knowledge of Rouge Park and conservation issues
- Valid driver's license required
SUMMARY OF MAJOR TASKS:
Perform the following tasks under general supervision.
FORWARD COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO:
- Participate in implementation of the Rouge Park restoration assessment program.
- Carry out ecological inventory and monitoring field work.
- Assist with the implementation of the Rouge Park stewardship program including organizing events and activities.
- Assist with surveys and monitoring in Rouge Park to locate species at risk.
- Enter stewardship and monitoring data into a database.
- Assist with project management, data analysis and report preparation as required.
- Plan and prioritize tasks.
- Assist with Watershed Management issues.
- Other tasks as required.
5 Shoreham Drive, Downsview, Ontario
Fax: (416) 661-6898
by: March 22, 2013
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Rouge Park is an equal opportunity employer. We value the expertise and diversity of our people.